I recently modified my Canon 550D DSLR for dedicated astrophotography use, by replacing the internal IR cut filter with an Astrodon replacement that allowed more H-Alpha wavelengths. I thought it would be a good test of the modification by revisiting the Tarantula Nebula that I first photographed on my Orion ED80T Carbon Fibre telescope after I got it. While I have also improved my imaging abilities over the last 7 months, the modified camera was able to pick up much more detail and the resulting image is a significant improvement over the first one I took.
This shot was captured from my suburban backyard on 6th December 2013 and made up of only 65 minutes worth of data. The sub-exposures were made up of the following:
10 x 1 minute
10 x 2 minute
7 x 5 minute
Imaging Camera: Modified Canon 550D with an Astronomik CLS Clip In filter & Orion Field Flattener.
Imaging Scope: Orion ED80T Carbon Fibre
Guide Scope: Orion 80mm
Guide Camera: Orion Starshoot Autoguider
Mount: HEQ5 GOTO
Guiding via PHD
Image capturing via Nebulosity3
Stacking and pre-processing via PixInsight
Minor curve adjustments via Aperture3